Thursday, January 14, 2010

Magic Tattoo

Before going to Thailand I knew that I was going to have some tattoo work done. Early in 2006 I came across some artwork with Polar Bears with a night moon that I thought would make a fantastic tattoo. So during a tattoo convention that May in San Diego I had a few hours done with a guy who was from Colorado and came down just for the convention. I was really impressed with the work. He was able to get the big bear on my arm with some trees and outline for continued work. My thoughts of expanding the work led me to get another polar bear while I was traveling in Europe a few years later.
I searched the Internet for tattoo artists in Chiang Mai, Thailand. After reading many customer comments on websites I had found the place I wanted to get my work done....Magic Tattoo.
Having the shop's information I tried to find them on a map but the only location stuff I found was general and once I arrived in Chiang Mai I was overwhelmed with how to get around in the City and was concern that I could not find the place. The first night that I arrived I went to get something to eat nearby where I was staying and came across a Tattoo shop. It seemed like a decent place and thought maybe I will end up just getting my work done there if I could not easily find Magic. After my meal I went home a different way (getting used to my surroundings) taking in what was around making mental notes of places I wanted to check out at a later time and just as I was ready to turn onto the tiny street that lead to my guesthouse, just to my right there was a storefront with big letters, "Magic". The shop was actually a stone throw away from where I lived.
I popped in and introduced myself meeting a kind man named Poon. Having a great vibe I came back a few days later to start the artwork. I describe what I wanted....a sleeve adding nature with the two polar bears that I had. He took many photos of my arm. I mentioned that I want the night moon, waterfall, stream, etc... He got on the computer and started to do his thing. I was really impressed with what he was doing on the computer and knew that I had the right person.
We schedule the rest of the sessions which was a total of eight hours of work for three sittings. It worked out very well.
Even before the work was completed I receive many compliments on it. I really like watching as we progressed through the several stages. By the time we were done it was just about time for me to leave and I was low on money but wanted to give him a generous tip. I extended an offer to practice massage with him, specifically Tok-Sen. He accepted being the first person outside of class that I've worked on with this modality!
I have found another friend in Thailand through this experience and certainly will come to visit with him (and maybe more tattoo work) during my next trip. It was a pleasure to connect with Poon and glad our paths crossed!

PHOTO GALLERY

BEFORE:



AFTER:























2 comments:

  1. You lead quite the exciting life...thank you for sharing. Glad you made it back safe and I will continue to lurk...eh, I mean check in on you! :)
    -girl from La Jolla Trader Joe's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking out the blog. As I gear up in my planning for the next trip to Thailand I will set up another blog for readers to follow. The target is 2-3 months at the end of year.

    ReplyDelete