Friday, January 8, 2010

Patara Elephant Farm

During my stay in Thailand I had two different Elephant experiences, one I previously wrote about. There are several different type of outfits that have elephant things and many are catered for the tourist. There was a major differences in both times that I had. I have learn of another place called The Elephant Nature Park which I plan to volunteer at the end of the year when I return to Thailand. Just like many outfits Patara Elephant Farm picked me up early in the morning and we drove out about a half hour to their spread. They are well organized and made the day very interesting, fun, and educational. The name of the program that I did is called "Elephant Owner for a Day". It was a very intense experience that actually brought tears to my eyes! In this unique experience I learned how to hike, track and approach the elephant. I walked, fed, bathe, and brush this majestic animal in the river.
VIDEO CLIPS
I was trained on how to ride on her neck using many different techniques and went on a long bare-back adventure ride to a waterfall where we rested and had a wonderful buffet, Thai style!
Patara Elephant Farm has a higher standard in the care of their elephants than many other camps/farms. They are quoted of saying "Our elephants have been rescued from unsuitable working conditions and the proceeds from this trip help keep them in a natural environment for breeding program".


No comments:

Post a Comment